The weekend before last through the first half of last week I spent in DC with Greg. On the weekend we stayed with friends who took us around a bit.
First stop on Saturday was the Eastern Market in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.
There were vendors all around outside selling crafts and vintage things. (I really wanted to take one or two of these home, however as they weren't exactly overhead bin material, I had to pass.)
Inside was a nice assortment of fresh flowers, produce, meats and the like, along with prepared foods too.
Next we took a stroll through a residential part of Capitol Hill...
and I jealously observed spring was coming on a bit faster in DC than in Ohio.
After that we dropped in here. Clever name and stocked to the brim with cookery related things one never knew one needed.
I had more than a passing glance at this volume as the subject is quite dear to my heart. Figuratively that is, probably not so much literally.
All our roaming made us thirsty, so we found a spot to grab some pint-sized refreshment. Though the interior was nearly brand new, Lola's had a very staid vibe that made it seem everything one might expect a Capitol Hill bar to be.
Then we hopped on the metro and headed to Dupont Circle to The Dupont Hotel bar. All sleek and modern, but not too pretentious, and the service was really great.
All the chrome and glass sort of made one feel obligated to order up a clear libation.
Sunday morning we drove up to Baltimore and had brunch at Mama's on the Half Shell. I was too concerned with feeding myself to take pictures of the restaurant itself, but the interior was done up in an eccentric British drawing room style (dark wood, dark paint, odd pictures and other things up on the walls) that felt authentic, rather unlike so many chain restaurants that attempt similar decor. I did manage to snap a pic of this lovely bit of hair-of-the-dog. And my lobster eggs benedict was insanely good.
I've got more of our trip to share. Probably two more posts worth!
Coming soon, I promise.
♡,
Erin







We have that cookbook and it is great!
ReplyDeleteSome of the recipes looked so delicious. Might have to try to find it online!
ReplyDelete