Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

What Was for Dinner: Tomato Sauce With Onion and Butter

Greg's birthday was earlier this week and in lieu of going out, I cooked up a little something, we split a bottle of wine, and discussed upcoming fun activities to further celebrate (birthday and recently past anniversary).
Labor Day weekend our friends arrived bearing a heaping load of tomatoes from their gardens. So after finding this ridiculously simple sounding recipe so highly touted on both of my go-tos, Smitten Kitchen and Orangette (links straight to the how-tos), I settled on it for the occasion, but decided to sub what was left of these fresh lovelies (plus a couple from csa and a couple from the grocery store to measure up) for the canned as called for. I cored and peeled and then smushed and squeezed them to a pulp by hand and I probably ended up with right around the two cups as called for. It probably took me seven or eight tomatoes to get there, but they were all sizes and shapes. I'd say five or six big ones would do the job. And I used several smaller yellow onions vs. one medium. Otherwise I followed the recipe(s) exactly.
We couldn't believe so much yum could come from four ingredients (tomatoes, onions, butter, salt,). This tastes incredibly comforting, but yet it's sophisticated in its simplicity. It will definitely be making multiple encores this fall and winter. It has a bone-warming quality. 
I couldn't bear to discard the onion. Too yummy. And added fresh basil and parm to make it a little more special, but they certainly weren't necessary. 

I'm currently in Lansing, MI, preparing to geek out at an archaeology conference but will be home late tomorrow today(!) and am sooooo looking forward to a Sunday funday with the better half.

Bedtime!

♡,

Erin

5 comments:

  1. Such beautiful colours! I think it tasted really good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I'm going to give it a try this week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, my pleasure! Hope you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried it last week. It was delicious! And so easy;-)

    ReplyDelete