Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

VOGUE July '11

I have a little problem. I am completely addicted to collecting glossy magazines. Which perhaps in and of itself isn't bad, but the trouble is I often never get around to actually reading them and otherwise absorbing their content. (They wait patiently in neat stacks sitting 'round the house until I give up six months later and deposit them in plastic tubs in the basement (not all, some I recycle dependent on subject). I have a wild fantasy that I will one day make up for my transgressions and not only read the new issues, but also take time to dig out and revisit the previous years' issues I once neglected.) I want to put this wastefulness to an end (the not reading in the first place at least), and I thought it might help if I promised to go through each new issue when it crosses my threshold and share what I loved the most here.
I currently have four subscriptions and another international mag I buy every month at the store (I experienced delivery fail going through a third party subscription service to get it at home). One of those is to Vogue. The July issue arrived yesterday, and though I already knew Emma Watson was going to be on the cover, I was still delighted to see it. (Though I am a little sad to see that "fall" is in the largest font of all accompanied by a palate of burgundy, orange, and brown. Really? Already? I suppose.) Then just a few pages in, there was the amazing Helena Bonham Carter, stealing the show from the star as usual.
But Emma's spread truly is gorgeous. Love this flapper meets fairytale dress (I've just read that the collection actually references the early '60s, but I feel entitled to my own adjectives) by Aquilando.Rimondi, fall '11. 
But moreover love these magical jewel-encrusted boots by Alexander McQueen, spring '04. And the rings too, Solange Azagury-Partridge.
And the interview goes to further prove that she is a smart cookie too, with a good grip on reality, despite growing up in an imaginary world. (Good explanation for the explosion of the Y.A. fiction genre?)
A nod to the fact that it really is just the start of summer (today!), is this piece on the Greek island of Patmos, which sounds like a place chock full of eccentric expats with good taste and bottomless bank accounts. Annoying to the average person, perhaps. But I wouldn't mind having a sit on the beach with this view, 
or a stroll through here in my kaftan on my way to get a nibble, would you? Wish I was brave enough to paint my trim anything besides white. Perhaps when that summer house is forthcoming.

♡,

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment